Rachel K. Baumel, LLC
Comprehensive Family Law Services and Mediation

Parental Responsibilities

If you and your partner were never married, yet you have children together and you decide to end your relationship, you may want to file an Allocation of Parental Responsibilities (APR) case with the Court.  An APR case will establish a parenting time schedule, allocate decision-making responsibilities, and issue child support for your children.  The case follows a similar timeline and process as a Divorce case, but is limited to issues relating to the child.  


Ifparties are not legally married and they are not married by common law, thefinancial issues cannot be resolved in a domestic relations case.  There maybe other options to seek a legal division of assets for non-married parties.

Colorado courts use the best interests of the child standard in determining parenting time and decision making for the children.